Richton Park Medical Eye Exams
Richton Park Medical Eye Exams
You probably know that you are supposed to get your eyes examined on a regular basis. But did you know that a regular eye exam is about more than just ensuring that you can see? It’s about making sure the tissues and all of the components of your eye are healthy and performing as they should! At Veld Vision Center, we highly stress the importance of medical eye exams for our patients in Richton Park on a regular basis, which means at least once every two years for patients without any risk factors, and annually (or as recommended) for patients with risk factors.
What Puts a Person at Risk of an Eye Complication or Eye Disease?
Those who have certain risk factors for eye complications or eye diseases need to get their eyes checked more regularly. This includes patients with:
- Diabetes. Having diabetes puts you at risk of developing a number of eye complications, some of which can be very serious and significantly impair your vision and eye health over time. Common eye complications/diseases that patients with diabetes are at risk of developing include glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, cataracts, and macular edema.
- Age. Being older than age 60 significantly increases your risk of certain eye health problems, including cataracts and glaucoma. In fact, cataracts are so common that by age 80, the National Eye Institute reports that half of Americans have had at least one cataract.
- Other health complication. There are a number of other health complications that may put a person at risk of developing eye problems, including obesity, hypertension, and being nearsighted. If you have a health complication, call our offices to learn more about whether or not this puts you at risk of eye problems.
- Children with certain risk factors. It is critical to diagnose eye problems in children as early as possible. Those children with certain risk factors, including developmental delays, premature birth, or a family history of eye disease, should have their eyes checked regularly.
- Family history of eye diseases. Even if you and your eyes both appear to be perfectly healthy, we encourage you to get your eyes checked annually if you have a family history of eye diseases. With all diseases, there is often a genetic risk factor that should not be overlooked.
The Importance of Medical Eye Exams
For patients in Richton Park and surrounding areas, scheduling regular medical eye exams is critical for your health. In fact, some eye diseases, such as open angle glaucoma, have virtually no symptoms or side effects during the early stages of the disease, which means that without regular medical exams, by the time the disease is caught, it could be too late. Staying on top of your eye health means that any problems can be caught early on and treated as quickly as possible to minimize negative consequences.
Schedule Your Richton Park Medical Eye Exam Today
At Veld Vision Center, we have been providing patients in Richton Park with trusted medical eye exams for nearly 30 years. To schedule your medical eye exam today, please send us an appointment request through our website, or call us or send us an email at your earliest convenience. We look forward to serving you!